Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cattle

Under the shadow of the Carpathians there are many creatures who, night after night, hunt human prey and keep the region's rural occupants fearful of the night. However, there are some mundane creatures; simple beasts who man, in spite of his limitations, has managed to dominate and exploit for his own benefit.

The cow is one such animal. Villagers up and down the Carpathians expend great effort to raise and protect these natural sources of meat and milk from the area's many predators, both mortal and immortal.


Painted By: Jason (aka JET)

Thoughts & Commentary:

I bought these models from Dixon for use in our first Old West campaign a couple of years back. However, by the time I got around to painting them the campaign was nearing its end and so they sat unfinished in a drawer for two years.

One of my new initiatives for 2011 is to finish up all of my half-finished projects. To this end, the cows came out and, although they will find uses in future Old West campaigns, they will be used in our Gothic Horror games from this moment onwards as well.

As to painting, they were an EXTREME rush-job. After researching cattle breeds online for about 20 minutes yesterday I had a real moment of clarity. I realized that I was at an age and stage of life where I wasn't going to spend any considerable amount of my time left here on earth painting cow models - a guy has to know when to draw the line. With that bit of self-discovery in firmly place, I started dry-brushing like crazy, picked out a few details, and in less than an hour I was gluing down ground cover.

Thanks for reading,
JET

2 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I think your cows turned out quite nice even with the quick paint job. Animals always add a nice touch to a board.

Cheers
Christopher

Chris C. said...

The thing that makes me jealous is that your extreme rush job looks way better than a lot of my ultra-carefully painted minis (gives me something to aspire to though!)

:)